what does this do?

Blogroll

Saturday, December 28, 2013

It's over 50 degrees in Cincinnati, Ohio at the end of December; I'm wondering if the weather gets much warmer if I'm permitted to dump my fishing boat in a nearby pond.  I'm not even sure if local lakes, rivers are open for the season.

Flashback:
A little over a year ago, I had purchased a shot 1955 Waterwonderland tri-hull fiberglass boat from an older gentlemen in Wisconsin.  The wife was out of town and I asked man's best friend (my dog) to go along with me to recover this beauty.

One thing I learned along the way that my dog was just as thrilled as I was to get on the open road for a nice road trip. With the windows down and our shirts off we shared 30k sunflower seeds.  By the time we arrived it only took about 3 hours to locate the man selling the boat.  I had knocked, called, emailed, and even written him a letter.  Finally, he stumbled out with a bad limp.  Turns out that he had broken his back falling off a stage several times.  I didn't bother asking for details as I was kind of in a rush to hook it up and head the hell out.  Wisconsin is a beautiful state - but quite the trip back to Cincy.  I didn't feel like breaking my back that night either.  After 2 hours of getting the trailer lights working - the dog and I started back.  Drove straight back with only 1 mishap - the console was dismantling down the highway.  So, I ended up kicking the console off the boat and throwing it in the back of the truck like some angry drunken sailor.
We made it back and the next 9 months it was a part-time job, a few hours here and there to get the boat sea worthy again.  Here's the work accomplished:
  • Removed rotten wood, so the transom came out.  An old transom is good for one thing: mulch. And, since I had the shovel out I went ahead and spread some on my hemlock.  It actually grew a lot that year.  I guess it liked the ole' fiberglass, resin, and wood.    
  • An angle grinder is a fiberglassers best friend.  I ended up cutting out the seats, transom inner skin, floor, topside to accommodate a full length transom.  I think full length transoms are better because you put water further away from getting into the hull, period.  Whether that be weight moving around in the boat, getting on plane, drifting out into the nothingness (a favorite place I wish I could visit more often).  Also, I opened up any holes in the boat.  There were 3 tears in the bottom of the boat from trailer rash.  
  • When the rollers breakdown - so does your boat when it pounds on the trailer as it's bumping down the road.  Those were replaced as well as the trailer wheels and tires.
  • New console and bench were built from cedar.  I like cedar it has wonderful outdoor properties.
  • Installed hardware like cleats, swivel seats, grab rails, rack steering, outboard, bimini top, and probably a lot of things that I'm forgetting to mention.
  • Went through a handful of props to find out if a Stainless Steel 4 blade was giving me better stern lift without sacrificing top end which it did.  
I must admit the first few runs with the boat were interesting.  The o/b was not running properly and the boat was taking on water.  I love to swim so no fear there.  I was more worried that the boat would sink and I have to call someone to pull my boat out from the bottom of the lake.  Something that would end up on the evening news - "Man says he was rebuilding a $109.00 boat and sank it.  Guess somethings aren't meant to be."
I finally got it running right and ventured to take friends and family on the boat for fishing, etc.  It only took 10 times of rebuilding leaky carbs to fix the o/b and 2 more near sinking experiences to unravel the mysterious leaks.  

Now that it's running great - I guess I'll finish it.  Still needs a floor and I'd like to clean up the bottom side with a slippery paint.  I think there is a lot of drag going on with blemishes and with using a traditional bottom side marine grade paint.  I would venture to say that I could make the boat glide 10% more efficiently by addressing the bottom.        

       

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger
Blogging Fusion Blog Directory