what does this do?

Blogroll

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Welcome to the 9.9 hp lake modification.  Where all pre-'97 Honda 9.9 outboard owners go to modify their engine to 13.2 hp!

The snow has come back and I have started thinking about my little winter project again...

After muscling my Yamaha 40 hp parts motor off the portable stand and getting the lighter Honda 9.9 on it - from the looks of things the Honda it seems very easy to work on.  The Yamaha was super compact while this is pretty much all accessible.

One of the things that interest me about this year Honda was that it’s the same as the 15 hp unlike later years minus a change or 2.  Instead of re-jetting the carburetor, I can simply take off the limiter screw and gain a few more coy fish.  They are made in Japan like the Yamaha.  I like American made products – but I have not found a 4 stroke in this size made by an American Co. worth pursuing.


By removing the limiter screw - it allows the carburetor to fully open giving it a whopping 3.3 hp more.  Anymore hp and I’d be racing.  Actually, with a little more power I think it’ll be easier getting onto plane because I’m kinda of pushing it with the smaller outboard.  Some say never modified an outboard out of manufacturer spec – but who cares.  If it was that big of a deal they wouldn’t have the limiter screw to begin with – I hope.    

If you can locate the green dot - you've located where the screw use to be.  Um...yeah.... I still don't have a working lower unit, but I'm upping my hp 1st?  That's right and you can now do it too!       

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger
Blogging Fusion Blog Directory